- Part of being an adult is learning to regret. When I was a child, I didn’t regret. I always felt justified by what I felt in the moment. Now that I am an adult, I have learned that my feelings are not a justification. So now, I learn to regret.
- If I were to believe that people are inherently evil I would also have to believe that society is evil, and since society elects government and holds them accountable that would make government evil, and all of that would lead to me never wanting to leave the house. I’m glad that I believe in the goodness of humanity. It makes life easier to live.
- Not all things are either one or the other, some are both or neither, and that is maddening. It is maddening when I try to make a rational argument and have to find myself debating both points or none or introducing new arguments just to clarify. I wish rational debate were as easy as saying, “zero is nothing,” when zero is something. Damn it.
- Let your yes be yes and your no be no. And, when necessary, let your maybe be maybe. Again: damn it. Life can be hard sometimes, so whenever possible be clear and hold to your convictions.
- Act as you wish others would act, treat others as you wish to be treated, and in all things hold to compassion as the highest ideal of mankind. I have seen in my life, many times, that all of the love and good I sow around me is returned sevenfold. Those who live a life exemplary of love as God’s highest calling are never left with empty hands.
- Don’t be afraid. Why should you be afraid? Life is a transient thing, it comes and it goes, it waxes and wanes, there is pain and there is light. Like swimming in the ocean, if you clench in fear you will be drowned. If you surrender control, you will be buoyed. So swing your arms wide, feel the saltwater at your back and the sun on your face.
- Gratitude is a virtue- and a great one. Those who are able to feel profound gratitude always seem to find things to be grateful for, and their life is full of the knowledge of blessings. It’s a virtue I don’t always have but one that I pray for, because I want to be the kind of person who never lacks for a card to give or a note to leave or a phone call to make, just to say thank you.
Take some time this weekend to empty yourself, to sit in the sunshine and simply feel the vibrancy of the world around you. Allow your thoughts to think themselves.
It’s spring, time to air out the mattresses and the men, so to speak. 😀